Monday, March 09, 2009

Perhimpunan Agung UMNO

I seldom do this - commenting on other's idea or entry from other blog. I have my own opinion and I respect others. I always think that in regards to this particular subject matter, let others to comment, not me. But somehow or rather, I never came across comments that really similar to what I have in mind. Well, I don't read/surf much. So, here goes.

I read an entry in Datuk WCW here, commenting (or more correctly, wanting) what should be discussed in the coming UMNO General Assembly which should occur by end of the month. I believe, what he wants to see is also what other races in Malaysia expect to hear. In a summary, he wants to "hear speeches with substance on the economy and less on race from the delegates. That should be Umno's biggest agenda"

C'mmon Datuk (and other races). This is UMNO General Meeting. UMNO is no doubt the biggest political party (respect that!) but it also represents the Malay community. In fact, we should look at UMNO as the Malay political party FIRST, then followed by the realisation that it is the biggest political party in Malaysia. If we can do that, then we will see UMNO at the correct perspective. If we can understand that UMNO is the political party for the Malay, then the issue of keris shouldn't be a threat at all. The issue of Ketuanan Melayu shouldn't be misunderstood. There shouldn't be an issue about anti-PPSMI. Tell me, will MIC or MCA or Gerakan or PKR or even PAS will talk about Ketuanan Melayu? They are not a Malay-based party, I will die standing in shock and trauma if MCA approve a resolution to protect the Malay Supremacy. Eventhough I am not an UMNO member, sincerely and honestly, I will go straight to ICU if the MCA or MIC General Assembly is conducted in Bahasa Malaysia (however, I would like to see that to happen, or may be will remain in my dream for generations to come)

It is very unfair for anybody to expect UMNO to neglect the Malay related issue (remember, UMNO is the party representing the Malays, it is in their Perlembagaan, acceptance by the Malay is a different issue) or even to allocate more time on other matter rather than the Malay interest. Talking about how to save Malaysia economically will definitely in the agenda, no doubt about that. That is only because the Malays are also concern about the matter.

Datuk WCW also wants UMNO General Assembly to think how to "putting food on the table for all races". All races means the Malay, Chinese, Indians, Kadazans, Ibans, etc. But UMNO is a Malay party. Is putting food on the Malay tables were also discussed during MIC or MCA General Assembly? I believe it does, as the UMNO General Assembly will definitely spare some time discussing about that too, I am sure.

To summarise, UMNO is a political party for the Malays. It is not a sin for them to talk 'anything and nothing but Malay' if they chosed to.

p/s At least, listening to their debate, ones will feel that things are happening in Malaysia, not in China, or Hong Kong or India.

2 comments:

  1. Chu,
    Now I realised u're malay at heart but practically u're Malaysian. This is the kind of thread of thoughts all malays should have. Our 'uwan' called it 'mempokat, 'berunding dalam golap', 'memutuih dalam torang'.

    ReplyDelete