Saturday, November 15, 2008

We are one, big, happy family!

Having a big family is a big business. Not only that you need to be financially secured, but most importantly, emotionally strong. I have a big family. I am the fifth in eight siblings. On my own, I have six children. This is by choice, not ‘by accident’ or ‘ooops I did it again’ kind of thing! My youngest was born when I was 38, and she is now 6. This morning, we registered her for Primary School, after 2 years in kindergarten. Next year, the mama will be alone most of the time at home. I hope, she can reschedule her life, recollect what was missing for the last many years. We have gone through tests after tests throughout our process building this family. There are times when we don’t talk for few days just because the quarrel we had over the children. In fact, all the sour faces are due to our differences in managing our house and children. I wanted my children to be raised on a certain standard. Being a trained and professional Accountant, my methodology is being seen as rigid and procedural. The problem is that my other half remains as what she was 17 years ago. I know, I marry her 17 years ago as what she was 17 years ago. But I expect we can ‘grow’ together. Now with all the children will be in school most of the day starting from next year, I hope she can speedily grow up. And my responsibility, in keeping my big family well, will be bigger.


Consider this. I am the sole breadwinner for the family of 8 (with 6 children). My effort must be equivalent to the father of a sole breadwinner of 3 families with 2 children each. So, if other family can afford to go holiday once a year, we can only afford to do the same once every 3 years. If other family can be sufficient with a house with 3 rooms (average cost RM200,000), we can live equally comfortable in a 7 rooms house, with a cost of almost RM800,000. The house we are renting now is a 3 bedroom house, valued at RM650,000. Food that we eat is for 8 people daily. Electricity, water bill and other bills are for 8 people. If I put a serious thinking about it, I will never can afford our lives. Hurghhhh…. Syukur kepada Allah kerana kami masih dapat menikmati kehidupan seperti orang lain. However, what we have is not everybody is blessed with. Our house is always filled with laughter. We always have each other. We tolerate in sharing what we have. We do things together. And we face our sorrows together. Next year, Anek will be in Primary 1, DeDe in Primary 3, Kakak in Primary 5, Bang Teh will be in Secondary 1, Bang Ngah in Secondary 3 and Bang Long in Secondary 5. I am so blessed with 6 lovely children, each of them with their own character and personality. All in all, we are a big happy family!

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete