Tuesday, January 27, 2009

CNY Holiday

I received many 'sms's, wishing a Happy Chinese New Year. That is the spirit of the Malaysians. We celebrate festivals, doesn't matter whose. We celebrate Thaipusam eventhough it belongs to the Hindus. We celebrate CNY. We celebrate Christmas. Sounds weird? No, it isn't. We brought up in a multi racial and multi cultural society. However, the way we celebrate is different depends on what race you are. I am a Malay Muslim. The way I celebrate CNY or Thaipusam or Christmas is by visiting and wishing friends their very best. Nothing related to religion. I modify the celebration based on my religion. Some people might say that by following the other religion's celebration makes you part of them. (BTW, CNY is not a religion based celebration) I differ. I am wearing cloths the Indians, Chinese, English, Jewish, Arabs wears. That doesn't make me more like them. I celebrate because simply I respect my friends, and it is fun! Its fun to celebrate. I celebrate birthdays. I celebrate anniversaries. I celebrate wins. I celebrate successes. It doesn't make me a Hindu when I celebrate Thaipusam. It makes me feel closer with my Hindu staff and I think I get their respect. Few years ago, I brought back a bagful of prizes on the eve of Christmas. I put everything under a palm tree at a corner of my house, as if the palm tree was a christmas tree, hehe. The tree was decorated with lights and gadgets. The children was so happy. I played Santa Clause. He he. I am looking for opportunity to play the dragon head in Lion Dance. Must be fun! To all my Chinese friends (Arthur, Michael, YB LGE, YB Tian Chua, Wong, TMC, Ooi, PFH, Nam Kiong, Bruce, Wai Ling, Bee Suan, JE, Sim, Ah Pek, Lin, Dolly, Sam, Chin Ngor, Foo, .... many more...) a very happy Chinese New Year. Let us be Malaysians!

1 comment:

  1. Dear AO, Jamal said you have a great 'non-political' blog and here I am. I know you are a very much family man and this blog prove me I am right. Take care my friend, we have not met for quiet a while (since last GE I think), catch up with you later.

    ReplyDelete