Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Eid 2009 - The Balik Kampong

(The Balik Kampong Luggage)

I thought it will be a jam-giler trip to balik kampong on Saturday, the eve of Hari Raya. But quite surprisingly, even my children noticed it, the journey was very smooth. Nothing held us back for the 2 1/2 hours journey.

The highway was boring, very monotonous. Only palm oil trees on the left and right of the road. Added with the puasa punya pukulan, the mengantuk was almost unbearable. Only after Seremban, passing through Bukit Putus, we felt rejuvenated, thanks to the virgin tropical reserved we were passing through. The smell of country leaves and cool breeze is so refreshing.



We arrived Kuala Pilah earlier than expected. The usually crazy traffic during festival and holiday was nowhere to be seen. Betul ke nak raya esok?

(Kalau bulih nak jadi cikgu sekolah, kek Kolo Pilah!)

5 kilometres away from the Kuala Pilah town is my kampong, Kampong Pulau Pandan. Located alongside Sungai Muar, the population is only about 30 people during normal days and swells into about 300 during festivals and long holidays. Greeting us on entrance is a surau where the village people will gather for prayer. The surau is very sentimental to me. Here is where I learn and grow a Muslim. Apak was the Imam for almost 13 years here before he passed away in 1998. This is the place where I learn to read Quran when I was kid, together with other kampong buddies - E'cha, Chunai, Apit, Abg Apa (arwah), Awang, Padey, Eidir, Alim (arwah) and Azam. We will prepare coconut-leaves torch to light our walk back after mengaji session, usually will finish at about 9pm. I will always be the favourite student for Tok Achik who tought us the Quran. Sometimes he will take me with him on his bicycle home. He influenced my life. On this surau also I practised my azan reciting. Ateh Kadir will usually corrected me whenever I went wrong. And on this surau also, Arwah Abang Udin thought me some basic Tarekat. But the old surau was not as 'modern' as this one. It only gets this look with the help of Abang Zainol (Tan Sri).

(Surau Kampong Pulau Pandan)

On approaching Mak's house, we can already see kepulan asap showing that Lemang and Rendang is cooking. Mak's house is the first house in the kampong located on the left side of the road. Prevously, the current 'front' of the house was actually the 'back' portion of the house. The original 'front' is facing Sungai Muar.

(Rumah Mak on the left of the road)

Apak and Mak save their money to build the house, little by little. Now the house has 5 sections. The original 'front' has 3 bedrooms (me and my 2 younger brothers, Chu and Hisham, share this area) and a living where the boys and anak bujang will sleep. Then the original 'rumah ibu' has 2 bedrooms (for Kak Cik and Dik Nor) and a bathroom. The extended 'rumah ibu' was built somewhere in 1971, when I started schooling, has 3 bedrooms (for Along, Ngah and Ateh) and a store room. Together, both old 'rumah ibu' and the new 'rumah ibu' share a big hall where usually the girls and anak-anak dara will sleep during gathering. So all 8 siblings are having our room there, a flight higher than the next section which is on ground level. This section is relatively new, renovated around 20 years ago. Here located Mak and Apak's room, and a small surau where Apak will spend most of his time reading and praying if he is alone. Normally, when I come back from boarding school or university, he will pray at the 'front' section so that Apak and I can pray together and he will teach me to read Quran (and understand it) - Soomm moomm book moomm umm yoummm fahoummm laa yar ji'oun.... he he he. I can still hear very clearly his dengung while teaching me that phrase! Together with this section is a big living area where we will gather around watching tv (and gossipping). But not very long ago, err.. like few weeks ago... Mak extended the house further, Section No 5. Hmmm... this area, according to her, is to be left empty. It is a lepak area, unwalled, open system. I just say, ok Mak, do whatever you wish, no question ask, we will obliged, as long as you are happy.

Whenever balik kampong, the memories of the past will surely linger in my head.

(to be continued with Eid 2009 - The Raya)

No comments:

Post a Comment