Thursday, April 02, 2009

Listen, or thy tounge will keep thee deaf.

It is a native American proverb. It reminds me of Richard, a friend in New Orleans. We always eat Poboy along the Bourbon Street and sometimes hang around at Jacksonville area while listening to the super talented street jazz performer. I missed New Orleans. I don't know how New Orleans looks like now since Katrina hit her badly few years ago. By the way, I remembered Richard for his empathy. He will lend me his ears on whatever occasion - and understand it. Empathy is the word. It involves understanding another's heart, mind and spirit - including their motives, backgrounds and feelings. The more empathy we have on others, the more we come to appreciate and reverence who they are. But most people do not listen with the intent to understand, rather they listen with the intent to reply. People are busy filtering everything through their own perspectives rather than trying to understand another's frame of reference. Sometimes we just want company. True. But what we really prefer is a company who understands us, or who at least do their best to understand us. I have a friend in Richard.

No comments:

Post a Comment