Wednesday, July 08, 2009

Michael Jackson

It was Friday night, March 25, 1983. The place is Pasadena Civic Auditorium, California. And I was at Arau, busy preparing for my final year Diploma study (and enjoying every minute of my super senior status in college). Magic happened that night in Motown 25. Smokey Robinson was reunited with his group, The Miracles. Jackson 5 reunited to stage a show after 8 years for a medley. And the greatest magic was Michael Jackson's brilliant show of Billie Jean, showcasing a new direction in his dancing and debuting the now signature MJ's move - the Moonwalk. I wasn't really care at that time, until I came out from college and was introduced to the 'real world'. Atras, my disco buddy was a da*n good dancer. He impersonated the Moonwalk perfectly (to my standard). I will put on my socks, gliding across and all over my living hall just to get the glide right. But I was, and never a good dancer. I couldn't do it then, and even worse now.






Last night I stayed up late, to witness the Public Memorial Service to the Greatest Entertainer that Ever Lived - Michael Jackson. The ceremony took place at Staples Centre, LA. At the age of 50, his sudden death from cardiac arrest in Los Angeles on June 25 stunned me. I was shocked. I know nothing is permanent but he is just a few days to his come back tour, This Is It. Ok, I have to admit, tears ran down on my cheek listening to the messages offered by the speaker. My mother says, people were remembered most when he died, and last night was an exhibit. However, the word from The Reverend Al Sharpton really struck my mind. He says to MJ's children "There wasn't anything strange about your daddy. It was strange what your daddy had to deal with" Nicely put! Very positive!

It was a memorium, yes it was. But if it is for The King of Pop, it wouldn't be complete without performances. Last night, one of the best performances was from a 12 year old Iranian-Welsh boy from Swansea, Shaheen Jafargholi, Britains Got Talent finalist. He sang "Who's Loving You" by The Jackson 5. A very sweet rendition from a cute little boy.

Well MJ. You never fail to mesmerised me with your dance move. I grew up with your songs. Bilie Jean, Beat It, Thriller, Smooth Criminal, I'll Be There, those are some of the songs that brings magic to your fans including me. People says you died as a Moslem. I say From Allah We Hail, To Him We Shall Return.

1 comment:

  1. Awesome Blossome5:53 PM, July 16, 2009

    His kids looked and BEHAVED normally after all!

    ReplyDelete